ACM SIGGRAPH's DIGITAL ARTS COMMUNITY (DAC)
Time: November 1, 2010 to December 15, 2010
Location: UC San Diego, La Jolla, CA
Street: Atkinson Hall, First Floor, 9500 Gilman Drive
City/Town: UC San Diego, La Jolla, CA
Website or Map: http://gallery.calit2.net/por…
Event Type: exhibition
Organized By: Calit2 is a partnership between UC San Diego and UC Irvine
Latest Activity: Nov 1, 2010
In a moment of global disaster (economic, geopolitical, etc.), hyper-surveillance, media swarms, censorship, functional limitations, and technological excesses, there is a nagging question--are we beyond invention? In a society of crisis, we invite possibility. In Cruising Utopia, queer theorist José Esteban Muñoz calls for an anti anti-utopia, condemning the political status quo and inviting the "radical aesthetic, erotic and philosophical experiment."
Against the anti-utopian lockdown of what can be imagined, of what can be illuminated, of what can be made - gallery@calit2 makes a call for work that can consider the difficult intersections found between art, technology and the new “not-yet-now” of hope emerging from the anti-anti utopian moment. Works that cruise utopia with queer futurities, with techno-utopianism after the end of utopia, art that continues creating utopian desires from dystopian fictions and the fictions of science, gestures that push forward new ecologies after the end of what cannot be imagined as the end. Anti-anti utopian art continues to build spaces of hope after the catastrophes of the present have removed utopia from the map.
gallery@calit2 welcomes responses from the local, national, and international communities. Proposals will be reviewed by the gallery committee, and judged according to artistic merit as well as convergence with the mission of the gallery.
1. Title and Project Description
2. Contact info for Curator and/or Artist (Email, phone, address)
3. Statement and Bio for Curator and/or Artist
4. Images of artwork (please link to online examples)
5. Exhibition layout (within the 700 sqft gallery, and for two 30 ft display walls)
6. AV needs (projectors, computers, monitors and sound system available upon request)
7. Budget needs up to $3000 (including any travel/shipping/supplies)
8. Preferred timeframe (Fall, Winter or Spring Quarter)
Great! The file uploaded properly. Now click the 'Verify my file' button to complete the process.